Pages

Jun 26, 2012

Frugal Scrapbooking: Embellishments by the Bulk

I love medallions -- they are fun to make and add some dimension to your cards and scrapbook layouts!  I have been making them for awhile now, but I loved the article in the new issue of Cardmaker magazine (pages 42-44) that gave some techniques and ideas for making medallions in different variations.

After reading the article, I got jazzed again to make medallions, so I decided to make some in "bulk" to use on future projects.  (That way I only had to get my glue gun out once!)  I left buttons and other embellishments off so that I can do customization when I use them later.  


There are step by step instructions in the article, but here is my way for making standard size medallions:  
  • Use a 12" strip of paper, anywhere from 3/4" to 1-1/2" wide.  The wider the strip, the bigger the finished medallion.  (I find 3/4" - 1" size are great for cards, larger sizes for pages and projects)
  • Score paper strip at every 1/4 inch.  For a wider set medallions, do 1/2 inch increments on 1-1/2" wide strips. 
  • Try a more lightweight printed paper or card stock -- although you have to score more carefully, they do seem to work to shape better.
After scoring:
  • Overlap the ends of the strip to make a ring, using super sticky double stick tape to adhere the ends.  (I know some crafters prefer hot glue, glue dots or even staples, but I find the tape works best for me at this step.)  1" wide strips are good for beginners.  
  • Punch a 1" circle, laying on a gluing mat.  Add a nice dollop of hot glue.  
  • Take your paper strip ring and carefully press it into shape, adhering it to the glued circle.  Hold in place until glue starts to dry, then set aside until completely dry. 
  • Embellish with buttons, pins, hardware, ribbon -- ideas are endless! 
Other ideas:
  • Try border punching your strip first for some nice edging, or using a striped paper for some fun circles.  
  • Add as a fun embellishment to frames, banners, and wreaths.  
  • Attach ribbon to a medallion to make a badge for someone to wear for a special occasion.  

Have fun and feel free to comment below on what worked for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment